First Name
    Eric
    Occupation
    Chemist
    Referred to CVR by
    Jamie at Three Seas

June 2012 BOD Meeting Minutes

CVR Board of Directors Meeting – June 24, 2012

Present: Rocky (GuyWalker1219), Matt (Saulsa), Chad (Reef,Planted & Pond o my), Johnny (neuocmam), Eric (Eric)
    Excused (online feedback): Ray (Qsuerte), Tyler (Tmoriarty)

Meeting commenced at 6:15pm

BOD Replacements – Rocky will be stepping down as president effective July 1 to avoid the appearance of a conflict of interest due to a new position managing a local fish store. As outlined in the bylaws and at the board’s request Johnny (neuocmam) has agreed to setup and act as interim president. An election to fill the vice president position will be held at the July meeting of the association. The BOD has nominated Peter (nemosomean) to take over as vice president / financial officer (pending his acceptance). Peter has an accounting background and will be an asset to the club in the financial officer position.

BOD Votes – the following items were discussed and voted on at the meeting.
    1. Approved 4-0, Rocky abstained – Johnny (acting president) nominated Rocky (GuyWalker1219) for Director Emeritus status to Rocky (GuyWalker1219) as outlined in the bylaws (4.12) in recognition for extraordinary service rendered to the association as a member of the board of directors and as a moderator and developer for the club website. While not the justification for granting this status, this provides a mechanism for the board to take advantage of Rocky’s expertise and experience as we move forward.
    2. Approved 5-0, Rocky nominated Whodah, Stoker, and peter zeitler for Director Emeritus status as outlined in the bylaws (4.12) in recognition for extraordinary service rendered to the association as founding members, service on the board of directors, continuing work in managing the club website, and/or legal advising for the association. While not the justification for granting this status, this provides a mechanism for the board to take advantage of their collective expertise and experience as we move forward and recognize the volunteer work they continue to do in support of the club.
    3. Approved 5-1, The club will not pursue either online or written absentee voting mechanisms for BOD elections at this time. The primary concern with these mechanisms is the potential for fraud or tampering (real or perceived). While there are some potential mechanisms to address these problems we do not feel the benefit outweighs the significant increase in involved workload. The board recognizes that this places an increased burden on members from the north and south valleys. The one negative vote cited the importance of including active members who cannot make the one meeting a year where voting happens. Other board members agreed that this is a valid concern, but weighed the concerns cited above with greater weight. The board may revisit this topic if a concrete proposal addresses the concerns of tampering and workload.
    4. The board reviewed requests to ban one member and one sponsor. The board voted to delay evaluation of complaints against the vendor for approximately 1-2 months until a deadline on one outstanding issue in the case passes. A preliminary vote on banning the member passed 3-0 pending further review and documentation of the complaint. This initial vote may not have sufficiently complied with the requirements outlined in the bylaws. Another vote is ongoing on this subject with a more complete review of evidence and more careful attention to the requirements in the bylaws.

Task List – the following items were noted as things that will require action in the near future but either have already had or do not require a formal vote of the board.
    1. MAX – The board intends to return to the MAX event in April (1) to raise funds for the organization by selling member coral frag donations, (2) to increase the visibility of the club to potential new sponsors and members, and (3) to recruit sponsors.
    2. Add new positions to bylaws – the board has already voted to add the property and sponsor relations officer, but the agreed changes need to be formally written into the bylaws. No specific person was tasked with making this change.
    3. Update Paypal Access – the paypal account will need a new password which will be provided to the financial and membership officers, whose work requires working with this account. Johnny and Rocky were going to work with Brett to make this happen.
    4. BOD Position Manual – The board agreed to begin work on an instruction manual for each board position that would be kept in threads in the BOD forum. It was agreed that each board member would work on the manual for their position with guidance and feedback from previous board members and the website admins.
    5. Member Benefits – Eric expressed a desire to have a clearer list of benefits of being a CVR member listed on the website including descriptions of forum resources, equipment, and vendor discounts.
    6. Vendor List – Eric suggested looking into ways to increase visibility of club sponsors such as making a list of vendors by geographical area to facilitate members visiting sponsors when on vacation or traveling.
    7. Review of Bylaws regarding Unbanning – there is apparently history a few years ago of the board passing a motion to allow review of banned members and restoring membership in some cases. This should be documented and added to the bylaws if absent.

Pending Meetings – here is the sketch of scheduled meetings for the next year.
    July – Rock Building with Jestersix
    Aug – Poker Night (tentatively hosted by Rocky’s new store)
    Sept – open
    Oct – tentative – Fragging Seminar
    Nov – Open Frag Swap
    Dec – Christmas Party
    Jan – open
    Feb – tentative – members flea market
    Mar – open
    April – open
    May – members frag swap
    June - elections

Meeting concluded at 8:45pm
    Minutes submitted by Eric

First Name
    Stoker
    Referred to CVR by
    Tolbert
    Thanks For This!!! Nice Job!!
    Don't Blink

CVR Moderator
    Blog Entries
    First Name
    Eric
    Occupation
    Chemist
    Referred to CVR by
    Jamie at Three Seas
    Today the board completed the review of complaints against a member (mentioned in the above minutes)

The board found that this individual's conduct exceeded the requirements in section 2.14e of the club bylaws for expulsion. Based on these requirements board members felt that expulsion was necessary for the health of the organization and to avoid future problems. The board did not take this decision lightly. The 2/3 vote requirement was met with a 4-2 vote with one board member abstaining due to personal involvement in several of the incidents. The review of complaints began at the June 24 board meeting and continued in the BOD forums through June 26.

I regret that this action was necessary.

Eric (membership officer)

First Name
    Erick
    Occupation
    car paint salesman
    Referred to CVR by
    George
    Nice info, thanks for the feedback!!
    "The only thing that can stop a BAD man with a gun is a GOOD man with a gun."---NRA

Tank(s): 135 gal
    Lights: ATI 60" Powermodule 6 bulb
    Experience: Absolutely None!!!

First Name
    Brent
    Occupation
    PRIMERICA RVP
    Referred to CVR by
    Qsuerte
    Well Does that mean im close to ban ...I know few bod members tried to get me gone long time ago for there personel agenda .....Is there like warnings or just your out of here kinda thing ......I have never used this Site for bashing any member or sponsors but it just seems strange how people get banned and I know as part of BOD we would bring them back like a year later.....can someone shine light on this thanks

CVR Moderator
    Blog Entries
    First Name
    Eric
    Occupation
    Chemist
    Referred to CVR by
    Jamie at Three Seas
    I have not reviewed any complaints against you superpfa, so I cant comment on whether you are close to a ban but I would not think so.

There is no specific provision in the bylaws that specifically requires that warnings be issued, but everyone agrees that it is how the process should work in nearly all cases. In this case there were numerous warnings (not always public). Banning members should not be done lightly, to pursue personal agendas, etc. Banning can be done on a temporary or permanent basis and there are lesser ways of reprimand such as warnings, suspension, requiring moderation, etc.

As far as reinstating members that have been expelled (banned), section 2.13 in the bylaws provides a mechanism for this, but again it should not be used lightly in my opinion. If there was adequate justification for the ban in the first place, something would have to change to justify restoring membership.

It is my hope that we can reduce the drama and politics (perception and reality) by handling issues like this professionally, impartially, and according to the club bylaws. The entire board is on board with this goal and is very sensitive to the balance of transparency and protecting members' privacy.

Eric
    Last edited by eric; 06-27-2012 at 07:01 PM. Reason: clarifying first sentence

Tank(s): 110 gal, 150 lb live rock, 100 lb sand
    Lights: ATI 6 bulb T5
    Experience: one year

First Name
    DOMINIC
    Referred to CVR by
    pets inc.
    Wow Eric, very well done!....
    !!!!!.

Tank(s): 48x30x18tall LeeMar
    Lights: 8x54w T5
    Experience: Rookie.

First Name
    Adolfo E Silva
    Occupation
    IT consultant
    Well done. Thank you for the update in club affairs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    34 Gallon Solano with 150W Mixed LED light Fixture Mixed Reef.

Tank(s): 34 Gallon Solana
    Lights: I am now using an LED fixture running 112 1watt LEDS over a solana 34.
    Experience: 4 years

Full Colony Member josegomez324's Avatar
    First Name
    Jose
    Occupation
    DMV
    Referred to CVR by
    Rocky
    Ditto

Full Colony Member
    First Name
    Brent
    Occupation
    Looking
    Great Job Eric!
    Quote Originally Posted by wonrib00 View Post
    You should try to make the swap if possible, a lot of friendly people (as long as you are not trying to get the same coral they are going for at the swap) with a lot of good knowledge.

Tank(s): Renting Space at Rocky's Place
    Lights: Whatever Rocky has

First Name
    Brent
    Occupation
    PRIMERICA RVP
    Referred to CVR by
    Qsuerte
    Quote Originally Posted by eric View Post
    I have not reviewed any complaints against you superpfa, so I cant comment on whether you are close to a ban but I would not think so.

There is no specific provision in the bylaws that specifically requires that warnings be issued, but everyone agrees that it is how the process should work in nearly all cases. In this case there were numerous warnings (not always public). Banning members should not be done lightly, to pursue personal agendas, etc. Banning can be done on a temporary or permanent basis and there are lesser ways of reprimand such as warnings, suspension, requiring moderation, etc.

As far as reinstating members that have been expelled (banned), section 2.13 in the bylaws provides a mechanism for this, but again it should not be used lightly in my opinion. If there was adequate justification for the ban in the first place, something would have to change to justify restoring membership.

It is my hope that we can reduce the drama and politics (perception and reality) by handling issues like this professionally, impartially, and according to the club bylaws. The entire board is on board with this goal and is very sensitive to the balance of transparency and protecting members' privacy.

Eric
    In this case ???? not sure what you mean "This case" ....So for example If i mess up one time im gone....I just think its funny how this club works ...Great work Eric looks like your on the ball ...

Branching Member Reef,Planted & pond o my's Avatar
    First Name
    Chad
    Occupation
    Homemaker
    Referred to CVR by
    thinkclear_9
    Quote Originally Posted by superpfa View Post
    In this case ???? not sure what you mean "This case" ....So for example If i mess up one time im gone....I just think its funny how this club works ...Great work Eric looks like your on the ball ...
    Brent I Understand that you are upset about the Decision we made as the BoD, While I will not going into the Details Both Becase it is a BoD matter and to Protect the ban persons Privacy, I will However Inform you that the Issue that was at the Center of this action was in no way a normal infraction and that if any Member were to make a Simaler action it is very likely that they would also be baned.
    Last edited by Reef,Planted & pond o my; 06-28-2012 at 06:58 PM.
    The only thing that happens fast in Reef tanks are mistakes.

Tank(s): 90g reef tank, 30g sump, 1500g pond
    Lights: 1 ecotech radion 2 150w kessil Leds
    Experience: first reef tank started in 2010

First Name
    Brent
    Occupation
    PRIMERICA RVP
    Referred to CVR by
    Qsuerte
    Quote Originally Posted by Reef,Planted & pond o my View Post
    Brent I Understand that you are upset about the Decision we made as the BoD, While I will not going into the Details Both Becase it is a BoD matter and to Protect the ban persons Privacy, I will However Infor you that the Issue that was at the Center of this action was in no way a normal infraction and that if any Member were to make a Simaler action it is very likely that they would also be baned.
    Chad....If you only knew the half of it you would have a diffrent view.....I have been in this club less or about 2 years......I just want to close the personal loop hole and BS that goes on ....Dont get me wrong I think CVR is about 75% there on "Real Club status" but lets be real its not as for the new BOD I feel and Hope they get it cleanned up....for example dont ever ask for acountability becuse you might be banned dont ask to many questions or even question people you might be banned all im saying and can prove over and over that we pay for a membership for something thats not real and NO i wont renew this year but then thats just another member gone ......

CVR Board Member Sponsor Relations Nuocmam's Avatar
    First Name
    John
    Occupation
    Bug Killer
    Referred to CVR by
    CGoodman
    Quote Originally Posted by superpfa View Post
    Chad....If you only knew the half of it you would have a diffrent view.....I have been in this club less or about 2 years......I just want to close the personal loop hole and BS that goes on ....Dont get me wrong I think CVR is about 75% there on "Real Club status" but lets be real its not as for the new BOD I feel and Hope they get it cleanned up....for example dont ever ask for acountability becuse you might be banned dont ask to many questions or even question people you might be banned all im saying and can prove over and over that we pay for a membership for something thats not real and NO i wont renew this year but then thats just another member gone ......
    Wow! Really? LOL! You can ask me any questions you would like. You have my number too. If anybody has questions feel free. If you don't have my number PM me and I will give it to you. Oh and maybe your right this isn't real. It's all a dream. A figment of your imagination.

CVR Moderator
    Blog Entries
    First Name
    Eric
    Occupation
    Chemist
    Referred to CVR by
    Jamie at Three Seas
    Closing thread, it is escalating and no longer constructive. If you have questions, concerns, or feedback about the meetings or votes feel free to PM me or another board member directly.

Thread Information