Thread: Tip: Drilling an existing hole to larger size

First Name
    mothra

Tip: Drilling an existing hole to larger size

In all my frustration with the pump install I almost forgot about this. I needed to use a 1" bulkhead where I currently had a 3/4" bulkhead drilled in my sump. You obviously can't just put the hole saw against the sump and go to town or it will walk all over the place, which is why they have the 1/4" drill bit in the center of the hole saw.

I used a trick I learned as a machinist, may or may not be new to some of you. Take a small piece of 3/4" or thicker wood and drill it with your larger hole saw. Now take this board and line the hole up with the existing smaller hole on your tank/sump and tape it against the sump w/ masking tape all the way around. Now you have a guide to drill the new hole with.

If you want real precision measure from the 2 closest edges of your sump to the existing hole, now select a board big enough to line up with those edges and transfer the hole location dimensions to it then drill. Now you just have to line up the edges of the board w/ the edges of the sump and tape it in place, both holes should be on center.

Maybe it will help someone out one day. This is also a good technique for drilling holes on the edge of things where your bit wants to walk off.

Jacob.
    Jacob

Tank(s): 360g Reef

CVR Webmaster / Director Emeritus whodah's Avatar
    First Name
    Jeremy
    Occupation
    Computer Guy
    Referred to CVR by
    I am the Co-founder of CVR :D
    nice trick!
    -Who Dah?

------------------------------
    if you value your couch, don't invite tacocat over.

Tank(s): Couple o' frag tanks.
    Lights: Mostly 14K Phoenix w/ T5 supplements.
    Experience: Since ~2003

First Name
    Dan
    Occupation
    Race Car Chassis Fabricator in Training
    Referred to CVR by
    Pedro aka Hector
    Good Idea. I've done that myself before and it works great. Also if your really hard up you can use a Dremel to enlarge the hole..
    People that tell you money is the root of all evil don't have any.....

Tank(s): 180 barebottom SPS dominant Reef, 60g sump, euroreef, 2x250w 20ks, 2x96w actinics, etc etc etc
    Lights: 20k xm
    Experience: saltwater Since 2000, freshwater since 1977

weatherson
    Another way to do this is to use a hole saw slightly larger than the existing hole but smaller than the hole to be drilled. Drill out a hole in some scrap acrylic and save the "plug" that is removed. Align and glue with #4 solvent this to the backside of the hole. Then drill the hole using the center bit hole as a guide. The larger hole saw will remove this temporary plug. Very similar technique to yours but does require a good selection of different hole saw sizes be available.

First Name
    mothra
    I thought about something like that but didn't want to pony up about $5 for a cheapy hole saw
    Jacob

Tank(s): 360g Reef

Thread Information