Thread: Stupid Majano and Aptasia

First Name
    Ken
    Occupation
    Cnc Machinist
    Referred to CVR by
    online search

Stupid Majano and Aptasia

How do i get rid of it????? its starting to spread big time. is there any fish or shrimp i can ad to the tank to eat just these anenomes? i can joes juice them but that will take forever.

thanks
    ken

First Name
    Boomer
    Occupation
    retired
    Referred to CVR by
    Whoday
    Copperbanded butterflies MIGHT eat the aiptasia, but not likely the majanos. Joe's juice or kalk are the best options for getting rid of them.

First Name
    Mike
    kalk works pretty good, make it into a bit of a paste and smother them, peppermint shrimp and copperbands are always 50/50, some eat them, some dont, peppermints usually go for smaller ones too when they do eat them. you are better off doing it by hand.......

Tank(s): 180 + 100 fuge
    Experience: 8 years SW, 16 years FW

First Name
    Randy
    I have never seen a peppermint eat the ones I have had pop up. Aips and Majs need light, so typically they will pop up where you can see them. In this case I use Joes Juice. The syringe tip they give you allows you to shoot it into their mouths. They then shrivel up and die. I also have a hypodermic needle that I use to inject them sometimes if I cant get the paste in their mouths. I have had limited luck with kalk paste. With Kalk paste be careful you do not get it on a coral, as it will burn it.

Salifert also makes a Aiptasia Exit.
    Always looking for a tight clam!!

First Name
    Bob
    Referred to CVR by
    Whoda I think
    My buddy steve had 1/2 his tank covered with Majs and a local store in Bakersfield told him to get a racoon butterfly. After 3 weeks it ate everyone of them it could reach but began to starv after he ate them all so he took him back to the store for credit and killed the few left with kalk.

First Name
    Nathan
    Occupation
    RN
    Referred to CVR by
    Weatherson
    Thing with the racoon is that it will eat your coral as well. If you dont have corals, most of the butterfly fish family would be a good choice. You are better off going with Bergia nudis, totally reefsafe and all they eat is aptasia. But when all aptasia are gone they start to starve, and they reproduce like mad.
    http://www.saltyunderground.com/

First Name
    Bob
    Referred to CVR by
    Whoda I think
    The 2 racoons he had touched nothing but Majs and aptasia. Might of been luck of the draw though.

Frag Member
    First Name
    Jessica
    Occupation
    Trim Coordinator
    Referred to CVR by
    Internet search
    Ever been to www.berghia.net/marketplace.html ? They sell the little guys, and have deals if you buy a larger quantity. Just don't put them in with peppermint shrimp, as they will disappear into a happy shrimp. I haven't tried them yet, but need to...if anyone is interested in a group order let me know!!!

Thread Information